Five ways I can ensure that learners feel my presence in the course site:
- Answer the survey myself. Every semester in face to face or online courses I provide students with a survey. The questions range from very practical (what would like to be called, personal pronouns) to more fun (who is your favorite artist?). This semester I include more questions about internet capacity and hardware access. One way I can establish my presence is by answering some of the questions myself.
- Respond to their answers. I try to remember what students say in their survey and refer to it when appropriate (and not something sensitive mentioned in confidence).
- Participate along side them. For some of the assignments I have created my own examples for them to see.
- Create short videos responding to their assignments. I can do this individually or to the class as a whole, commenting on their progress. I am now learning how to use Kaltura more efficiently.
- Adapt to their feedback. I think it is important for them to see that I am responsive to their weekly comments.